Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Whopper With Fries...

So today I gave in to my craving for a fast food burger and went to Burger King for lunch. I ordered a Whopper, Jr. and medium french fries. I finished the french fries on the short drive to my house, where I downed the hamburger in about 2 minutes. The meal was all I that I had dreamed of, meeting every expectation. Hot, greasy fries...the pickle, onion, and ketchup...mmmm. It has been years since I ate a Whopper, and it was a sweet reunion. Earlier this morning, to lessen my guilt, I searched every fast food chain's website to determine, not the "healthiest," but the "least-bad-for-you" burger. Unfortunately I discovered that size matters. I really wanted a huge Whopper with all the trimmings, but settled for the Junior version to prevent even the slightest addition to my already ample thighs.

It is such a cliche for the pregnant woman who indulges her every impulse for calorie-dense junk food -- I have actually had several women tell me that I should "eat it up" and give in to every damnable craving for these things. I simply cannot agree. While I do need extra calories to produce a healthy child, what I need even more is nutrition. Not just fat and sugar. It is a shame that burgers and fries cannot come close to equalling the nutritional content of, say, a turkey wrap stuffed with veggies. What is even more unfortunate is that my cravings usually do not include vegetables and tofu, if you know what I mean. Here you have the battle of the mind versus the will. If only I had an insatiable lust for legumes!

To all my female friends and family who have experienced the joys and pains of pregnancy, what were some of your cravings? I would love to know. Post comments, if you will

2 comments:

Our Philosophy said...

Well, I told you this the other day, but mine with Suzanna (especially) were Cheetos and Dr. Pepper. I remember driving to a bible study and ate about half a large bag of cheetos in approximately 7 minutes. It was sad. I tried to justify this by eating the baked variety. OH! With Mckenzie, I couldn't get enough Taco Casa in my belly. I think an occasional whopper is not a bad idea-but keep the prenatal vitamins going too!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I'm not much fun. I didn't really have any cravings, but I had my fair share of Ben and Jerry's throughout pregnancy.